Thursday, March 20, 2008

Navigating Computer Tech Support Systems

My Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard just failed. I am not going to get into the importance of an ergonomic keyboard for work anyone who types more than 5 hours a day. If you don't have one - you'll learn how important it is soon enough.

After my keyboard broke I did the natural thing - called warranty and asked them for a replacement. The replacement worked fine - for 1 week - then it broke. This time I decided to call support.

Most people do not call support because they are afraid of being charged. If you have a broken computer, or tech problem, do not go to the computer or Microsoft website to find service. That is where you will pay.

Instead, find the documentation that came with the computer and look for the service number on it. Or, if you have software loaded onto your computer that makes the keyboard work, then go into there and look for support options.

If you use the phone numbers found in here, you will (probably) not be charged for support.

Do I Let a Tech Onto My Computer?

This can be a hard call. I've let techs on my computer several times - and watched them closely. Most of the time there is no problem. But, it only takes once.

Last fall I let a Dell tech from overseas onto my computer (If you call dell service at 3am you'll get American geeks who can fix everything. I think they could even fix your microwave via the PC access tool.)I watched the screen closely as the tech went through several steps and then started doing things that gave me a coronary.

This tech - without consulting me - started to reformat my C:// drive. I immediately stopped her and asked what the ... 'what are you doing?" She informed me that the 'book' said that if a) b) and c) doesn't work then she needed to reformat my hard drive.

I asked her if she knew that reformatting the hard drive would wipe all the data from my files. She agreed. I asked if she considered letting me back up my data? (I type about 10000 words a day, and make an average of 20 - 30 additions/changes to my project manager, as well as accounting, communications, meeting archives).

Her response was 'no, why? Is there anything important on your computer?" It took me about 3 days to get over the shock.

This time I tried a few alternative methods of repairing my computer and came to the conclusion that I needed to back up my C:// and then reformat my computer, which I did, without the tech's help.

I wonder if the tech knew that we would automatically disconnect from PC2PC when she started to format the drive? I doubt it.

Again - this is why I trust the tech support listed on the manufacturer's fliers and brochures that come with the equipment.

PS. After a 10 minute service call to the manufacturer's support desk my keyboard


Advice-Tip-Resources

Have you ever gone down a list of resources for 'make money', 'investing' and 'business start up' only to find that the good ones are gone? Here are a few friends I've made over the summer. Each one has taught me something.Learn how to start an email marketing campaign that works - for less than $100. www.waystogetnoticed.com is full of articles to help you build an email list, and market emails. This isn't another email list generating company or an affiliate website. The owner of this site actually owns an email marketing host site. He teaches the 'inside' info on email marketing.

No comments: